SCIENCE PROTECTING NATURE
EDUCATION EMBRACING THE EARTH
January 5, 2015 to January 23, 2015
|Join OMI as a research intern as we pioneer the way in the most important fields of study in the 21st century: Conservation Biology and Ecopsychology. Together, we can turn the tide of extinction!|
|OMI Research Internship - Table of Contents|
Click on the underlined words below to choose a topic.
- Research: Science Protecting Nature - Find out more about the nature of our research.
- Education: Embracing the Earth - Experiences you'll have as an intern.
- Research Internship: Learning Through Experience - Descriptions of our internship available in Hawaii for January 2015.
- Participant's Comments - Read what previous participants have to say about their research internship experience.
- Registration - Join us! Register for a research internship.
- OMI's Home Page - If you haven't already done so, you're invited to visit our home page and learn more about our organization and our mission.
|Research - Science Protecting Nature|
The field of animal studies has reached a turning point. We no longer have the luxury of studying animals just to learn more about them. Now we must learn more about them to help protect them. Their survival and the health of our environment depends on our ability to understand the interdependence between humans and the natural world. The Ocean Mammal Institute is dedicated to doing ecologically-sensitive research on marine mammals and their interactions with humans. Our research results are applied directly to protecting ocean mammals.
- OMI's past research on the impact of parasail boats ensured legislative protection from thrillcraft for humpback whales during breeding season in Maui.
- OMI's current research on the impact of boats and underwater noise pollution on whale communication and reproduction will assist government agencies in developing protection plans for the endangered humpback whale.
- OMI's groundbreaking research on the interactions between whales, dolphins, and humans will help us more clearly understand their impact on us as well as our impact on them.
- Your participation will allow you to renew and redefine your relationship with the natural world.
|Education - Embracing the Earth|
As a research intern with OMI you will:
- Study the biology and behavior of whales and dolphins while you observe and record their spectacular behaviors.
- Learn and apply the principles of field research design on the impact of boats on the behavior of the humpback whale.
- Gain a personal understanding of the politics of protecting endangered species.
- Learn about current research on whales and dolphins around the world and related conservation issues.
- Be introduced to the field of Ecopsychology which studies the relationship between humans and the natural world.
|Research Internships - Learning Through Experience|
FIELD RESEARCH ON THE HAWAIIAN HUMPBACK WHALE - JAN 5, 2015 - JAN 23, 2015
Two-thirds of the North Pacific population of humpback whales come to Maui each winter to mate and give birth. Help us with our pioneering vessel impact research in this critical whale habitat for approximately three weeks in January 2015.
If you participate, you may receive college credit for this experience when taken as an Independent Study Course. Please inquire for details.
Activities include lectures, readings, videos, discussions and, of course, data collection on the shore. Shore-based data collection involves tracking whales and boats with a theodolite and recording whale behaviors.
- Arrive January 5, 2015 depart January 23, 2015.
- $2700 for this session.
- Includes accommodations.
- NOTE: Airfare and food not included.
- Accommodations are: four to five people in 2 bedroom condominiums.
Please join us in our research!
Participant's Comments - Read what previous participants have to say about their research internship experience. Registration form - Online Registration is here: Internship Registration Form.
(If you prefer not to register online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
Back to OMI Home Page